FOCUS AT CHIKE OKOLI FOUNDATION (COF)
Chike Okoli Foundation, COF is a non-profit organization established in May 2006, in memory of the young and vibrant Chike Edward Okoli, who passed away due to an undetected coronary artery disease, five days after his 25th birthday. A budding entrepreneur, Chike was, until his death, the Founder/Managing Director/Chief Executive Officer of Carden Energy Services Ltd, an indigenous Oil Services Company in Lagos, Nigeria.
The focus at COF includes ensuring that every young Nigerian is fully aware of the dangers of cardiovascular diseases (CVDs), and the available preventive measures and treatment options. The Foundation also works to equip young Nigerians with entrepreneurial skills to enable him/her set up and manage profitable businesses of their choice. This is our own poverty reduction strategy to complement the efforts being made by Government at different levels.
Since inception, the Foundation has reached out to more than 11 million youths across Nigeria. It targets the population through various informative channels that include radio, newspaper and regular community outreaches. The Foundation runs a consistent program to promote knowledge of healthy living and orientation, as well as advice on good health. We also support the public with free medical tests which include: Blood Sugar, Cholesterol Test, Body Mass Index Measurement, (BMI), Blood pressure, De-worming exercise as well as distribution of COF health related booklets.
Some of our community outreach programs:
- Participation at Wellspring Rehabilitation Centre for persons living with substance abuse, with medical check up to ascertain the condition of health of those who were screened, on the 4th of March 2018.
- LCDA Health Awareness Campaign, Ward C, held on the 11th of March 2018. The objective of the programme was to create awareness about various health challenges and to promote healthy lifestyle.
- Program organized by Christian Mothers, Catholic Church of Divine Mercy Medical Fair on Saturday, March 24th, 2018 with free Medical check up and free Drugs provided by Emzor.
- On April 5th, 2018 Emzor/COF carried out Free Community Outreach in Honour of late Madam Matilda Nwannediya Nwaliezi Ohuabunwa, mother of Mazi Sam Ohuabunwa, at Arochukwu, Abia State.
- Free Medical Outreach in honour of Lady Theresa NnenneAnyikwa, Mother-In-Law of Prof (Mrs) Ngozi Anyikwa, the Director of Chike Okoli Centre for Entrepreneurial Studies, Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Akwa. The outreach was held at (Osuachara’s Villa) Umuezeaga autonomous community, Akokwa, Ideato North on the 26th of April, 2018. This was supported by Emzor.
- COF &EMZOR also supported RCCG Olive Tree Parish with Free Health Screening and Drugs. It is an initiative of Her Excellency, Mrs Dolapo Osinbajo, Wife of the Vice President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.It is aimed at delivering hope and free health care to members of the public. This was held on the 9th of June, 2018 at the Church premises.
- COF/EMZOR supported a Medical Outreach and gave free drugs at Shagamu and Remo North Local Government on the 28th– 29th of June, 2018.
- In Honour of Late Dr Emmanuel Egbogah the Foundation and Emzor providedfree medical check-ups and free drugs to the Umuokpu Community, Awka on Thursday, August 16th, 2018.
- The 9th Chike Okoli Foundation Week was held from Thursday 27 to Friday 28th of September 2018in collaboration with Goldcrest and supported by Emzor, Synlab (Formerly PathCare) and Fidelity Bank to mark the World Heart Day. The primary aim of the program is to provide free healthcare services and inform people around the on the risk factors associated with cardiovascular disease.
- COF/EMZOR Medical Outreach also supported the Ofala Festival on the 6thof October, 2018 with free drugs and heart screening. Free tests conducted include; Blood Pressure, Blood Sugar, Cholesterol test, Body Mass Index Measurement, Mass Deworming.
- Chike Okoli Foundation and Emzor participated and supported 10thOsolo Day Celebration Community Health Week on Tuesday, October 23, 2018.
- COF/EMZOR team attended Osolo Community Health Week. The event was held at the residence of His Royal Majesty, Oba (Alhaji) KabiruKolawole Alani AdelajaAgbablaka (Osolo of Isolo Kingdom). The free medical outreach was for the entire Isolo Community.
- On November 3, 2018 COF and Emzor supported Okikiola Community Evangelism with medical outreach at Ikorodu, Lagos State to celebrate the existence of Pacesetter CDA in Ikorodu and enlightened the public about the risk factors associated with Cardiovascular Disease.
- Chike Okoli Foundation and Emzor supported Lilyford Foundation in Collaboration with Britania-U to provide free Medical Screening at Ogidi Onitsha on 26th-27th December 2018.
- COF supported the Team of RCCG Olive Tree Prison Ministry Medical outreach with some basic Medical Tests which include BMI , Blood Pressure, Blood Sugar, Cholesterol Tests. Emzor also supported with drugs during the event. The outreach was held at Kirikiri Prison Yard on the 28th of March , 2019-06-18
In attendance we had about 3,000 Prisoners at the premises. We attended to over 1000 participants. There were cases of high Blood pressure which we brought to the attention of their nurses. The exercise was very successful
- On the 20th, April 2019 COF and Emzor participated and supported RCCG Olive Tree Parish Easter Lets-Go a Fishing with free Medical Outreach at the Kings College, Lagos Island
- The Chike Okoli Foundation and Emzor supported Chief Eric Umuofia Son’s Traditional Wedding with free Medical screening at Amichi Anambra State on the 20th of April. 2019.
- COF Participation at Nnewi for Christ 2019 Festival, Anambra State on 1st of May 2019. The programme was targeted to enlighten people about the risk factor associated with CVDs held at DCC Anglican Chruch, Nnewi, Anambra State.
The medical tests COF carried out include Blood Sugar, Cholesterol test, Body Mass Index Measurement, (BMI) and Blood Pressure and de-worming exercise for the participants and the children at the event, because a lot of the parents came with their children. We also distributed COF Flyers, Emzor Flyers and most of the COF Health related booklets on the heart.
We had over 2,000 participants in attendance. Amongst were the Pastors and workers of Nnewi for Christ and members of the public.
- RCCG Salvation House Parish, LP 48 (Apapa Family) Ikorodu held on Saturday 11th May 2019 Medical- Health Outreach
- COF/EMZOR team attended to support Ideato North, L. G. A, Imo State Diocesan Women Conference with free Medical Check Ups on the 24th of May 2019
- COF/EMZOR team attended to support the 18th RCCG Annual Elders’ Congress & Praise Night on the 24th of May 2019
- In June 2nd, 2019 COF/Emzor participated and supported St Marks Anglican Church Nnewichi, Nnewi 2019 Synod Sunday Service with Medical Outreach
- In Honour of Late Mrs Ngozi Onyike the Foundation and Emzor Pharmaceutical Industries in conjunction with RCCG Christchurch, Gbegada provided free Memorial outreach and free drugs to Oworonsoki Community, on Sunday June 2nd 2019
- COF & EMZOR also supported RCCG Olive Tree Parish with free Health Screening and drugs. It is an initiative by Her Excellency, Mrs Dolapo Osinbajo that is aimed at delivering hope and free health care to member of the public. This was held on the 8th of June at the Church Premises.
- The Chike Okoli Foundation, COF and Emzor participated at the Atlantic Hall medical outreach to commemorate the 30th Anniversary Celebration of the Atlantic School. The tests carried out were BMI, Blood Pressure, Cholesterol Test, Blood Sugar, De-worming and free drugs for the Communities.
The activities of the Foundation have been very successful with tremendous achievement in promoting healthy living. More people, students and teachers are enlightened and became better aware of the effect of their lifestyle on the function of their hearts. Services rendered during these programs include free CVD Lecture, Heart Screening, Free Blood Sugar Test, Cholesterol Test and counselling for all participants. The support of Health professionals (Cardiologists, Community Health Doctors, and Pharmacists) helps us attain our goals.
Chike Okoli Centre for Entrepreneurial Studies, COCES at Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka is a brain-child of the Foundation with a mission to re-train, re-equip, re-engineer, re-tool, and re-skill Nigerian youths towards acquisition of vocational, business and managerial skills needed in today’s competitive world. The goal is to inculcate 21st century skills, techniques, and competencies in Nigerian youths, harnessing their untapped potentials, and reducing unemployment by producing self-employed graduates.
The Centre focuses on ICT, electrical /electronics, auto mechanics, tailoring, hair dressing/barbing, and home management- fashion and design, catering, bead making, hat making, knitting etc. The essence is to expose students to real life work experience.
COCES has organized entrepreneurial workshops, seminars and conferences for artisans, scholars,students, and the public. Some of these are: A partnership with Enterprise Development Centre, EDC to organize the (You Win) Programme; and the Annual Rags to Riches Seminars to mark the International Day against Poverty.
The Centre has trained and equipped over 5000 entrepreneurs in the science and spirit of entrepreneurship. The Centre also has a Memorandum of Understanding with the Entrepreneurship Studies Unit of the University whereby their students are taught skills by the technical staff of the Centre.
In addition, the Foundation has twoawards instituted by donors for the promotion of Entrepreneurship. These are:
- Chief S.I Anyikwa Entrepreneurship Award worth N300,000; a revolving loan scheme sponsored by Prof Ngozi E. Anyikwa.
- The “Preparation Meets Opportunity Award” worth N300,000 sponsored by Mrs Uzoma Ezeoke.
The Foundation will continue to pursue the ideals for which it was set up, with even more passion and commitment in the years ahead.